Sunday, September 27, 2009

Missing Life.

Something happens when you move away from home. You start to miss things. Family. Weather. Friends. Food. Your local news. For me it's sushi. Holy crap I miss sushi. I think about it. I dream about it. I read about it. I make people talk about it. I have even considered braving sushi at a chinese buffet in Brainerd. I didn't, don't worry.

There's other things I miss too- not just sushi. Moments. I miss a lot of moments.

Awkward moments. I missed my brother's new girlfriend meeting my parents last week.

Precious moments. I missed Lorna's first day of preschool.

Proud moments. I missed Siah coming in 57th place in his first cross country meet.

Nostalgic Moments. I missed Maddie's first day of junior high.

Surreal moments. I missed Ryan's baby shower.

Meaningful moments. I missed Pastor Rick's apology.


Today was the worst. Just as Bret Favre threw a HUGE touchdown pass to win the first home game in the very last seconds, my best friend gave birth to her second child. And I missed it. I got to be there on the phone and hear little Laney's first cry, but I missed seeing her face and being part of her entrance into the world. She's perfect. 5 lbs. 11 oz. 18 1/2 inches long. Round little face. Long fingers and toes. Peach fuzz hair. She's healthy, but there was a scary minute right when she was born and we couldn't hear her crying. I held my breath and tears rolled down my face. Then she cried. I exhaled.

These are moments I never dreamed I would miss. I think this is the first big moment I haven't been apart of since Ryan and I were little girls. I want nothing more to be home right now. But I know I can't be. In a few weeks I will get to hold baby Laney and I can't wait for that moment. It's the moment that I missed today that makes me think about the gazillion moments I'll miss ahead. So it's not the sushi I'm sacrificing...it's life as I knew it.

Auntie Nels loves you, Laney. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment